There are many ways to prevent cancer and it is essential to do so. In the book Cooking with Foods that Fight Cancer, Drs. Beliveau and Gingras state "A detailed analysis of the principle causes of cancer reveals that close to two thirds are directly linked to specific lifestyle choices and may therefore be avoided."
The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the number of global cancer deaths is projected to increase 45% from 2007 to 2030. (from 7.9 million to 11.5 million deaths).
Ensure that you follow these steps to live a long, healthy cancer-free life.
1. Reduce or eliminate the potentially damaging carcinogenic chemicals in your food, drinks and home.
Avoid tap water.
Do not consume any processed meats, cold cuts or meats with conservation agents. These contain nitrates and nitrites, known carcinogens.
Avoid cigarette smoke.
Harmful alcohol use is responsible for 351 000 cancer deaths per year world wide.
Switch any cleaning products to natural alternatives.
2. Reduce the fats in your diet.
Avoid saturated fat (fat from four-legged animals), trans fat (partially hydrogenated vegetable oils and palm oil). If you are eating a diet high in saturated fat you are at high risk for cancer. Increase healthy Omega 3 fats.
3. Eat less fried foods, grilled or barbecued food.
Heterocyclic amines (HCAs) are the carcinogenic chemicals formed when cooking meats and fish at high temperatures. These are transformed into dangerous cancer-causing substances in the body.
4. For your cancer prevention diet, eat at least 5 portions of vegetables (preferably more) and fruits per day.
These are full of phyto-nutrients, chlorophyll, vitamin C, beta carotene, selenium, bioflavonoids, and other great cancer prevention nutrients.
5. Do a natural detox remedy to rid the body of chemicals you have been exposed to - twice per year is recommended.
6. Eat as much raw food as possible.
This guarantees enough enzymes to aid in cellular activity and proper digestion. Cooking destroys these beneficial enzymes. Freshly grown sprouts are a great source of enzymes. Often a digestive enzyme supplement is very beneficial, especially for those over the age of 50.
7. Get enough fiber to ensure the digestive system is moving everything through at a regular pace and avoid constipation. Soluble and insoluble fiber are anti-cancer foods that help to clean out any unwanted chemicals that we may have been exposed to before they have a chance to enter the blood stream.
8. Exercise is one of the important ways to prevent cancer.
A sedentary lifestyle creates the perfect terrain for disease to develop.
9. Complete your cancer prevention diet with supplements and vitamins. Each person has their own specific needs for vitamins and minerals according to their lifestyle and what they eat or do not eat. A few to consider would be:
An antioxidant supplement
Naturally decaffeinated green tea extract
Your naturopath can help you determine your own needs. Ensure your supplements are of the highest quality.
10. Maintain a positive outlook on life.
The mind-body connection can no longer be refuted. If you are constantly plagued by negative thoughts, anger, resentment, bitterness, jealousy, stress, it's hard for your cells to remain healthy in such a negative environment. You must do what you need to to let go of the past and focus on a positive future.
Accepting what is, changing what you need to, embracing life and all of it's challenges with joy, contentment and gratitude.