1. First and foremost of the healthy eating guidelines for obtaining natural health, is the importance of eating a varied, healthy, balanced diet.
Eat fresh foods in the most natural state possible.
2. Strive towards making the majority of your food be fresh vegetables and fresh fruit. Vegetables can be eaten raw in a salad, steamed or lightly cooked. The more you cook or process your vegetables the less nutritional value they have.
Ideally, two thirds of your plate will be vegetables and the other third protein and carbohydrates.
Find 10 tips to healthy eating on a buget here.
3. We all need good quality sources of protein, as protein forms the building blocks of the body, muscles and bones. Chicken, some fish and eggs are good sources of protein, as well as beans or pulses, such as lentils, chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, as well as quinoa.
Unfortunately dairy is not, and not inclueded in the healthy eating guidelines.
Almonds are the healthiest kind of nuts for a protein snack.
For 16 years I was vegetarian. It wasn't until I started taking my classes to be a naturopath that I discovered I was protein deficient. Especially for my body type. I began to eat chicken and fish and more eggs and my energy and stamina increased immensely.
Vegetarians can combine whole grains with beans or legumes to complete protein. Even at that you need to eat quite a large quantity to get a sufficient amount of protein. There are some great apps to check your daily protein intake. Use one of them if you're vegetarian.
I really believe that eating a plant based diet is the healthiest way to eat and for some body types it works better than others.
Generally, protein keeps us full, so it's essential to make sure that whatever you are eating is healthy filling and nutritious. It should keep you satisfied until your next meal.
4. Eat whole grains, which means grains that you can see with your eyes, such as brown rice, quinoa, millet, oats, etc. These are healthier than grains that you can't see, ones that are processed into cereal, bread or pasta.
Better choices for pasta or bread are those made with spelt, kamut and brown rice.
5. Good fats are essential in healthy eating.
Good fats come from fish, such as salmon, mackerel, sardines and anchovies. The smaller the fish, the less contaminated it is. Nuts and seeds such as walnuts, almonds, are great. Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, etc. are powerhouses of healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. Trail mix is a prefect snack.
Many people consume too many bad fats in the form of processed foods, fried foods, trans-fats and saturated fats. Oils should never be heated. For your healthy eating guidelines the best oils are extra virgin olive oil and oils that are first cold pressed, preferably organic.
6. Drink plenty of pure, fresh water.
7. Foods to avoid when following healthy eating guidelines:
In a rush? Don't know what to make for lunch? Find some great ideas here....
‘Eating a rainbow’ of foods can help your body stay in shape and heal ailments and is a huge par tof the healthy eating guidelines. Green foods detoxify, neutralize and deodorize.Yellow foods are good for tissue building and repair. each of the different colored foods work in different ways. Learn more about the each of the colors of healthy clean eating.