In what area of your life do you feel powerless?
According to Dr. Roger Gould, author of the book, Shrink Yourself,
Break free from emotional eating forever, the reason why it's so hard to
break free from emotional eating is because you feel powerless.
- You feel powerless about how to deal with your self doubts.
- You feel powerless about how to get real satisfaction in life.
- You feel powerless to insure your own safety.
- You feel powerless to appropriately assert your independence.
- You feel powerless to fill yourself up when you feel empty inside. 1
Which one(s) sound right for you? You are really not powerless, but instead, are needlessly
giving away the power you do have over your control of yourself and your life.
Once you realize that, your emotional eating disorder will be controlled and
you’ll reclaim your power in your relationship to food and increase your power
in all areas of your life.
In short, eating protects you from the feelings that you
don’t want to feel.
If you didn’t have your weight to think about, you might
have to think about what’s really bothering you, and that’s very frightening.
When you use food as comfort you’re reverting back to the powerless feelings of
being a child. It’s time to choose to face the feelings and hear what they have
to say to you. 2.
Continue reading more about emotional eating treatment.
You might also enjoy this article about how to boost self esteem
or compulsive emotional eating
Return from emotional eating disorder to weight gain causes
Return from emotional eating disorder to Home Page
1. Gould, Roger, M.D., Shrink Yourself,
Break free from emotional eating forever (Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 2007) 20-21.
2. Gould, Roger, M.D., Shrink Yourself,
Break free from emotional eating forever (Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 2007) 27-28.